Squish Zine Vol 1
Hey! I made a little zine called SQUISH. This is volume one, as I hope to continue to expand on these sort of c o l o r s c ...
Hey! I made a little zine called
This is volume one, as I hope to continue to expand on these sort of c o l o r s c a p e s, hand drawn with colored pencils and markers. Here's a preview for you, and if you're interested in copping one, they are now available in my
*I'm still getting the presentation + vibes right for my art shop, so it isn't
open yet, though you can purchase anything currently for sale there.
The Space In-between
Early January has me exploring different shapes and more white space in my work. I get inspired by pretty much anything I see: a ...
Early January has me exploring different shapes and more white space in my work.
I get inspired by pretty much anything I see: a lot of artists on Instagram, signage and design I see at the coffee shops I frequent, music, film, books.
I have so many ideas for so many projects, and, compared to earlier last year, I have been working harder and completing more projects. Some days, when I look at the work I've produced, I get excited about everything I can accomplish in the future and have accomplished so far. (Small, small steps.)
Other days, I feel wedged in. Cramped inside The Space In-between. I don't really know how to describe the space? It's just...nothingness. But not like, a hopeful nothingness where I feel free to explore and grow and experiment. It's like a depressing nothingness where everything is dark and void of purpose.
This year, I'd like to work on molding that space—which I feel is a place many artists are familiar with—into something more positive, hopeful, and bold. Like, when I know I'm in that space—like right now!—and everything sort of feels dumb, I could embrace that and go outside of my comfort zone. Submit work to magazines and online spaces with abandon. Create something that is totally different than what I'm used to. Switch up my medium. All the while, sharing it online, and trying to communicate whatever it is I'm feeling.
I don't know! I'm just typing! I'm excited for 2017 (and terrified, cos like, who our president about to be again?) and just want to grow a bunch. Bye!
New Year, Same Party
I spent the last 100 or so minutes of 2016 in a dimly lit room, surrounded by tons of gyrating, sweaty folks, all swaying to the same pu...
I spent the last 100 or so minutes of 2016 in a dimly lit room, surrounded by tons of gyrating, sweaty folks, all swaying to the same pulsating house beat. This is exactly how I spent the last bit of 2015, and one of my favorite ways to ring in the new year (so far).
Some friends of ours own a huuuuge old house on a quiet, historic street in my hometown. The perfect kind of spot for a sweet & happy new years party. They are definitely the champs of the evening, cos
, I'm too much of a germaphobe to have that many people running around
house. Spilling drinks? On my floor? With their shoes on? HAH.
But anyway, here are some photos.
1. Where were you when 2016 began? In the low lit basement of a giant Victorian style house, surrounded by people yelling HAPPY NEW...
1. Where were you when 2016 began?
In the low lit basement of a giant Victorian style house, surrounded by people yelling HAPPY NEW YEAR!
2. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Moved to Phoenix. Quit a job because it was low key a cult.
Went to a zine festival.
3. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
4. Go to any concerts this year?
Toro Y Moi
, Mild High Club (twice), The Allah-Las, The Growlers, Neon Indian, and Beach House!
5. Will you be looking for a new job in 2017?
6. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2016?
Um, no? Wine is barely alcohol, and I only threw up from drinking one time this year. 🍾
7. Did you go on any vacations? If so, where?
Tokyo for ten days! I think that's the only trip I took that technically counts as a vacation.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
????????????? Lol, achievement? I think mostly I just wanted to be content with myself/my life in 2016, which I did achieve.
9. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2016 and change something, what would it be?
Hm, perhaps I would have begun regularly making art sooner. And with more confidence/fearlessness.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thank goodness, nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Bree Newsome pulling down the Confederate flag, in the name of Jesus, AMEN!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I'LL STICK WITH LAST YEAR'S ANSWER: Donald Trump, tbh.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Buying a house! Which has totally not happened yet, but will most likely happen in early 2017.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Wham! "Last Christmas" 😭 RIP George Michael.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Last year's answer ☞ Reading and making art.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eat stuff that isn't good for me.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Mildly buzzed in the loving homes and arms of 3 different families. It was awesome/exhausting!
22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Yes! With Mild High Club!
23. What was the biggest change for you in 2016?
Surviving an Arizona summer! 🔥
24. What were your favorite TV programmes?
Atlanta, Insecure, Stranger Things, Fleabag, Catastrophe, Sex and the City
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
by Brit Bennett
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
MILD HIGH CLUB. I done TOLD you!
28. What did you want and get?
A cute apartment.
29. What did you want and not get?
Creative Independence. (I'm still working on it!)
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
This feels kind of difficult! I really enjoyed
Hell or High Water
. I don't think I have a faaavorite, though.
31.What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On the actual day I turned 25, Charlie and I saw an awful movie:
. This activity was redeemed by our trip to
the next weekend.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Nice! I thrifted
this year, and feel, for the first time maybe ever, very comfortable in my sartorial skin.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Um, everyone sort of flew under my radar this year. Perhaps the closest is
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
When I'm down, you're always the first one to know
Skipping town, I'll take you wherever I go
Mac DeMarco, "The Stars Keep On Calling My Name"
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a few people who are pretty cool.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Listen better. Speak up for yourself when necessary.
40. What are your plans for 2017?
*screams* I don't exactly know yet!
Subscribe to our newsletter and don't miss new posts!
Search This Blog